Episode 030 – Faith Isn’t Certainty
Faith is at the very heart of Christianity. It’s crucial. Without Faith, scripture says, it’s impossible to please God. But more than any other part of the spiritual life, faith is misunderstood. When we get this wrong, we set ourselves up for an ugly, painful crash.
(And if faith isn’t certainty, then what is it?)
- A commitment to certainty is a real threat to our life of faith.
- Doubt and evaluating our beliefs is a necessary part of growth.
- That means Deconstruction can be a healthy part of faith development.
- It is much healthier to think of faith as relational trust.
- “Faith is an orientation of the soul toward God in the form of deep trust.” – Brian Zahnd
Scriptures & References in this episode
- Hebrews 11:1
- Hebrews 11:6
- Hebrews 12:1-2
- The Sin of Certainty: Why God Desired More Than Our Correct Belief, by Pete Enns. (Amazon Affiliate Link)
About 8 months ago, the Untangled Heart Workshop came into existence. I collaborated with a good friend, Byron Kehler, who is a trauma therapist, and together we created a one-day training focused on helping people understand and navigate their emotions. We did the event live and it was a fantastic experience.
We planned to start doing it live regularly, but circumstances have changed, haven’t they? So, instead, we’ve taken all the teaching and created an online course.
So, if you’re feeling a lot of big emotions, or are surprised at how our Stay-At-Home circumstances have brought up grief or anger for you, or if you’ve been thinking that you’d like to improve your ability to be present to the people you love, The Untangled Heart Worshipshop Online, may be perfect for you.
You can learn more of what’s included in the course and see the lesson topics for your self over at the link above.
In this new Zoom world, it’s so easy to bring in a guest speaker. Would your group benefit from learning about emotions, how we process emotions, and how emotions are a vital part of faith? Are you a pastor who could really use a week off? Hit the link above and let’s talk.
Find My Stuff
- The Wisdom of Your Heart: Discovering the God-Given Purpose and Power of Your Emotions.
- Discovering your Authentic Core Values: A Step-by-step Guide
- Untangle Workbook: A guided journaling process for untangling emotions and finding wisdom.