Episode 044 – Your Suffering is Sacred (With K.J. Ramsey)
Are you allergic to happy clappy Christianity? There’s a good reason for thats. Churches that ignore suffering are ignoring Jesus. Many churches are not good at holding suffering. People who find themselves in extended suffering — maybe living with depression or anxiety, other mental health issues, or even invisible chronic illness — sometimes find there’s not a place for them in the church. In this episode, I talk with KJ Ramsey who has particular experience with this, and we talk about the gospel according to suffering.
- “There needs to be more room in the Body of Christ to stand in the ground of our sorrow and see our suffering Savior.” – KJR
- “We prefer to keep death out of sight and any reminders of the decay in our bodies or being less than dazzling, we want to hide and pretend it doesn’t exist but the good news is that’s not the way of Jesus.” -KJR
- “If you’re in a church where they say ‘This table is for all,’ but you’re not actually included, leave. You don’t need to stay in a community that crushes you…You are not faithless if you need to walk away.” – KJR
- “To deconstruct the 2x4s of a house that was never actually God’s house is a gift that you give to your future self.” -KJR
Follow KJ Ramsey & Get her Book
K.J. Ramsey (BA, Covenant College, MA, Denver Seminary) is a licensed professional counselor, writer, and recovering idealist who believes sorrow and joy coexist. She is the author of This Too Shall Last: Finding Grace When Suffering Lingers, and her writing has been published in Christianity Today, RELEVANT, The Huffington Post, Fathom Magazine, Health Central, and more on the integration of theology, psychology, and spiritual formation. She and her husband live in Denver, Colorado.
- At her website: http://www.kjramsey.com
- Instagram: @kjramseywrites
- Twitter: @kjramseywrites
- Facebook: @kjramseywrites
- Get her book, This Too Shall Last: Finding Grace When Suffering Lingers
You can also watch and share the video version on Youtube.
- Untangle Workbook: A guided journaling process for untangling emotions and finding wisdom – If you’re like me, you might not have really been equipped to face difficult feelings. Distraction and denial were my favorite emotional tools. Projects. Video Games. TV. Social Media. More Work. Anything to not feel the discomfort. Learning how to sit with my feelings and understand what they really meant has been life changing. I wanted to share that with people I work with, so I wrote this little journal. The first 30 pages teach you the basics of how emotions work in our bodies and our brains, and how make meaning out of all of that. Then you learn a step-by-step template that guides you through processing an emotional reaction.
Find My Stuff
- Get The Anchor Prayer: A Prayer and Process for Remaining Grounded in a Chaotic World – This little book is free for you by opting in to my email list.
- The Wisdom of Your Heart: Discovering the God-given Purpose and Power of Your Emotions.
- Untangled Heart Course Online.
- Discovering your Authentic Core Values: A Step-by-step Guide