Spiritual and personal growth is possible. Over the centuries, journaling has emerged as one of the most consistently transformative practices, recommended by leaders across spiritual traditions, therapists, coaches, and others. Why then are so many people intimidated by journaling today, while others try it only to give it up? Incorporating both ancient spiritual wisdom and current neuro-biology, Journaling for Spiritual Growth teaches you how to be present to your life and hear what the Spirit is doing within you.
Are you looking for a practice that will help you grow?
Order before November 15th and be part of getting this book launched!
Pre-order 1 or more copies and get some fun gifts. See below!
A guide to a simple, flexible practice that nurtures growth.
Journaling is not a secret technique. Therapists, spiritual directors, pastor, and coaches recommend it. It is a time-tested practice. But for journaling to result in growth, a certain approach works best. This isn’t keeping a diary, writing a memoir, or tracking habits. Journaling for Spiritual Growth is a very particular kind of journaling practice. It’s flexible and gracious. With guidance you can build a sustainable habit that will serve you for years to come.
I kept waiting for this book to disappoint; for it to turn into something harsh rather than kind, rigid rather than flexible, even more harmful than helpful. It did not, and I am grateful . . . Read slowly, take your time, play with the work, and thank me later!
—Wm. Paul Young / Author
Marc has a deep awareness that there are significant things happening in and around us, ours to discover if we only pay attention. This book is a friend for the journey, walking with us to discover the craft of journaling with curiosity and a sense of adventure.
—Mandy Smith / Pastor & Author
Marc Alan Schelske’s manual on journaling is among the most accessible and practical guides that I’ve encountered . . .
—Dr. Bradley Jersak / Author
Is this book for you?
- Do you have a sense that personal and spiritual growth is possible?
- Are you ready to try a spiritual practice with the goal of maturing as a person?
- In need of something that works with your life and temperament?
- Not interested in legalism and obligation?
- Are you interested in journaling as a practice?
- Or maybe you tried journaling in the past, and it didn’t work for you or you couldn’t stick with it, and you’d like an experienced guide?
- This book was intentionally written in a generous and hospitable way so that anyone from any background could benefit from it.
What will you learn?
- Why diaries and goal tracking can’t transform us.
- What expectations undermine journaling’s effect.
- What mindsets and questions are most helpful for lasting growth.
- The 4 core elements that keep your journal healthy and focused on growth.
- How structure can be a gentle friend.
- How habit building works, and what lessons we can learn from our bad habits.
- How to create a sustainable habit for your life and temperament.
- Upcoming Reviews, Interviews, and podcasts
- Finding Wisdom In Your Anger / Real Men Connect Podcast
- Interview with Aaron J. Smith
- Interview with Frank Viola
- Making Room for Emotions in Church / Church of the Heart Podcast
- Exploring the Wisdom of Your Heart / Preacher’s Forum
- Emotions Aren’t Evil / CXMH Podcast
- Let’s Talk About Emotions / Today’s Family Experience Podcast
- Mindshift on Emotions / The Mindshift Podcast
Some books about spiritual disciplines load up heavy burdens on the reader: ought’s, should’s, more, better, now…But not this one . . . Simple, profound, and entirely practical . . . This resource is a treasure; I highly recommend it.
—Matt Tebbe / Pastor & Author
Highly practical and research-driven yet rooted in the mystical tradition, Journaling for Spiritual Growth is an accessible, gentle guide to exploring your spiritual life . . . this will be of great benefit to anyone looking to cultivate greater awareness of God’s presence in their life.
—Jonathan Puddle / Author, Pastor & Podcaster
. . . If journaling feels intimidating to you, or if you’ve tried and failed to develop this practice in the past, this grace-filled guide removes the stumbling blocks, equipping and encouraging you in a sustainable life of journaling. Wherever you are on your spiritual journey, you’ll find space with Marc to bring your life before God through reflective listening and learning. . .
—Susan Carson / Author
Preorder copies of Journaling for Spiritual Growth at any of the venders below.
Before 11/15/2022 email me at Marc@MarcAlanSchelske.com. Attach a digital receipt for your purchase (PDF, Image, Screenshot, phone pic, whatever works) that clearly shows the number of copies.
If you ordered 3 or more copies, include your mailing address.
- I’ll respond with my gratitude and any information you need based on the incentives you get as laid out below.
Just For Me (1 copy)
Pre-order 1 copy. I’ll email you a Zoom link to join me and my friends for an exclusive Online Book Launch Party on Tuesday, 11/22, 5PM Pacific/8PM Eastern. This event will include an author reading, Q&A, and a fun journaling-themed give-away.
For My Friends, Too! (3+ copies)
Pre-order 3 or more copies. In addition to being invited to the exclusive Online Launch Party, I’ll mail you a Journaling Starter Pack including a signed copy of Journaling for Spiritual Growth, plus a custom 64-page starter journal with quick reference notes and inspiring spiritual-growth quotes. (Include your mailing address in your email.)
For My & My Group! (5+ copies)
Pre-order 5 or more copies. You’ll get the invite to the Online Launch Party, the Journaling Starter Pack, and a Personalized Session With the Author to be scheduled in 2023. This could be an Author Q&A with your book group, a presentation on an inner life/spiritual growth topic for your organization or ministry, or a one-on-one session that could be used for personalized journaling coaching, general spiritual direction, or even writing coaching for a writer. This session will be remote via Zoom unless you’re within reasonable driving distance. (Include your mailing address in your email and how you’d like to use your personalized session. We’ll coordinate by email.)